Thursday, April 9, 2015

Poetry Inspired by Poetry Ad Infinitum

My creative writing teacher, Elizabeth Treadwell, has introduced us to some amazing poets. Yesterday we learned a little about Kim Hyesoon, an award-winning poet. I wrote this poem based on my inspiration from a line of Cloud's Nostalgia from her book Sorrowtoothpaste Mirrorcream.


Borrowed Inspiration

"When I sang all the sweat pores on my body salivated"
The drops hung precariously and didn't drop freely
The gathered into larger and larger drops
Arranged themselves decisively
And used a language I didn't quite recognize to do so
The distraction of this and a creeping concern
Made my singing falter

When I stopped altogether the silence deafened
But only for one second
As on my very next heartbeat
The first proud drop fell precisely
On the keyboard made of leaves below me
Thus I learned to dance in such a way
As to let the water notes fall off my body
And become the creator of my own music


No comments:

Post a Comment