Wednesday, April 1, 2015

NaPoWriMo is NoJo!

Back from Near Obscurity for NaPoWriMo


I could not have predicted it in a thousand years! This is what got me to revive my long-neglected blog? National Poetry Writing Month, which just happens to be April. My wonderful creative writing teacher, Elizabeth Treadwell, mentioned this to us in class. If you're thinking you did not know that I wrote poetry, join the club, because I didn't know either. And no, it's not homework for the class (Elizabeth is awesome that way :). I just decided to take the challenge, because why not?

Disclaimer (because all new, self-conscious writers seem to babble through a standard disclaimer before sharing, present company not excepted): I am poorly read in poetry, never studied it, and prefer to write prose. Furthermore, this first one couldn't be less in a style that I like, but it's done and I'm already thinking about tomorrow's poem.

April 1

Just one a day!
It’s time to play,
but not a vitamin or curse.

Could be a lie,
Told with a sigh,
As long as it’s by you.

It’s not a game
Or stuff for work,
Why, that would be much worse.

If you will try
Then so will I,
And others, they can, too.

So let’s just start,
Take fun and heart,
For poems on April first.

Wow, if you made it this far you must really be tolerant of bad poetry. Just kidding, even I have a limit for self-deprecation. No more disclaimers. Leave a poem you wrote or a link to your own NaPoWriMo site as a comment if you dare!

No comments:

Post a Comment