Monday, August 31, 2009

Sum Books

This is a detail from my almost-finished wall art, imaginatively called "Spirals". I'm very pleased with the way it turned out - mostly as I envisioned it! I love working with this material-which-has-no-name-but-I-should-name-it-something: acrylic paint-coated (many layers, textures) muslin fabric. Maybe libric, Libby's fabric? It's so easy to add texture to it and cuts like a dream.

I also love David Sedaris' When You Are Engulfed in Flames which came out ages ago in hardback and only recently in paperback. I'm not a big laugher in general, but his book had me giggling even days later. While I was reading it (and laughing), I realized I was tearing through it and would be finished too quickly. Book lovers know the self-control needed to savor a good book! So I looked over at my husband's nightstand and saw Sum by David Eagleman. It looked like a good brake book to stall the finishing of When You Are Engulfed.. so I started reading it. Wow, very interesting. The full title is Sum: Forty Tales from the Afterlives, and consists of little vignettes about.. the afterlife. I'm not one to think about, let alone believe in or fret about "the afterlife", but I found the ideas in the book very creative and fun. I almost feel inspired to write my own tale.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Libby! So good to see you joining the blogging world, and I like that you started with that photo of yourself at Newgrange. Seeing you here might jump-start me back into my own blogs, now that September is here. Will be checking in often! Best to you, Imelda

    ReplyDelete