Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Les Fleurs de Perles de France

Making French Beaded Flowers is something I started about 3 years ago, after a young, wise, dear friend gave me Carol Benner Doelp's The Art of French Beaded Flowers, and I promptly started teaching myself from it. I don't know why, but I love the planning, assembly of materials and tools, the execution (yes, an exercise in patience and painful detail), then the final product! which is surprisingly tough, delicate and heavy all at the same time. My latest creation (the first completely of my own design) is shown: framed pink flowers. The flower and leaf design are not based on any real flower, just something for fun and to see how well a wooden frame works to hold them (very!).


This is the front of a card I made this card for my father (a skilled and avid birdwatcher) last Father's Day. The bird - a belted kingfisher - is from a recycled child's book on birds (circa 1966), and the flowery part is from a beautiful book on Russian Textiles by Susan Meller. I accidentally found this book at my local library - the history is fascinating and the textiles (beautifully photographed) are fabulous. Interesting and exotic in a middle-European, 19th century, art deco, psychedelic way (and this unfortunately is not a good example of that).



No comments:

Post a Comment