Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Just Add Water

What I consider to be my normal artwork is extremely detail-oriented, planned, and somewhat precisely executed (previous posts below show seed bead work). In order to expand the other side of my brain - the right side as they say - I am practicing watercolor. It started when another blogger mentioned loving her watercolor pencils, which piqued my interest. I bought a set for myself - and love them, too! Although the first picture below may look detailed and precise (I indulged myself here), when adding water you only have limited control, especially as a beginner. The paint, water and paper pretty much have their own party while you swirl and blot and try to participate.
I copied this picture freehand from a traditional watercolor print, which was painted based on a photograph. After sketching with the pencils on watercolor paper, you are forced to let go during the water painting part. It's so fun. To stay right-brain oriented, I have committed only to practicing watercolor, never perfecting (kind of like yoga). As long as I don't get too uptight, it will always be fun!
Ever the multi-tasker, I am also practicing Chinese watercolor. A few years ago my parents brought me a traditional Chinese watercolor set from China. After watching a bunch of how-to videos online, I started practicing from books. It looks so easy, but even the simplest shape is hard (for me). Still fun and relaxing to just practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment