Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Back from Sabbatical 

Hey, I'm back from my 2+ years sabbatical from blogging!

So my business partner, former office mate, and husband, Paul, recently joined a very cool company named Apportable. They've published a game on Google Play called Zen Bound 2 by game creators Secret Exit. Zen Bound 2 is "a meditative puzzle game of wrapping rope around wooden sculptures". Sounds great.. right? For whatever reason the game description, together with the accompanying down-tempo music, appealed to me immediately, and I knew I had to get it. 

 

So far, I really like "playing" ZB2. I find it very relaxing, especially when I'm wound up. The 3D graphics combined with touch and orientation (gravity-like) control are visually stunning. The task of winding rope around the objects to paint them may at first sound trite, but the spatial puzzle aspect is slowly roping me in, and I look forward to solving it better each time. A rope-on-wood creaky sound effect adds to the realism.

When the gorgeous, meditative music, by Ghost Monkey, is too downbeat for my current mood, I just select something from my own collection. Yep, you can supply your own tunes during play! Today I dusted off some long-neglected Mazzy Star and Mark Kozelek CDs and ripped 'em.

It works great on my tablet, but not sure I'd recommend it for smaller screens or lesser devices (due to its computational intensity). No, I'm no plugging this game (costs a few bucks), because I honestly don't think this kind of game can be plugged. It just.. is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment